Who we are
The Blackleg Hub (“us” or “we”) is a virtual centre of expertise made up of collaborators from The James Hutton Institute (“Hutton”), Science and Advice for Scottish Agriculture (“SASA”), University of Strathclyde (“Strathclyde”), Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board ("AHDB"), Durham University ("Durham"), Bayer Crop Protection ("Bayer"), Newcastle University ("Newcastle"), National Institute of Agricultural Botany ("NIAB"), Soil Essentials ("SE"), University of Glasgow (“Glasgow”), Scottish Agronomy Ltd ("SAL"), SA Consulting ("SA Consulting") and they are joint controllers over any personal data we process about you for the purposes set out in this Privacy Notice.
The Blackleg Hub is committed to protecting your personal data and adheres to the principles of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) when processing your personal data. This privacy notice outlines what personal data the Blackleg Hub collects from you through your interaction with this website and its sub-domains (the “websites”) and how we use your data. Please read through the privacy notice to understand how the Blackleg Hub uses and protects the information obtained from those visiting and using its websites. If you have any concerns about the Blackleg Hub’s processing of your personal data or you have a general enquiry in relation to data protection please contact the Data Protection Officer at The James Hutton Institute on DPO@hutton.ac.uk or by telephone 01382 346814.
Through accessing our website and/or submitting an enquiry through the websites you are consenting to the collection, retention and use of your personal information in accordance with the terms of this privacy notice.
What is personal data?
Personal Data: means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person.
Special Category of Data: means personal data revealing racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, or trade union membership, and the processing of genetic data, biometric data for the purpose of uniquely identifying a natural person, data concerning health or data concerning a natural person’s sex life or sexual orientation.
When we use the term ‘personal data’ we mean both personal data and special category of data.
What personal data is Blackleg Hub processing?
- Personal details (such as your name, e-mail address and telephone number) which you provide by submitting an enquiry via the website.
- How you use the website and any other information you post, e-mail or otherwise send to us.
- IP addresses - we may collect information where available about your IP (internet protocol) address, operating system and browser type. This data provides us with information about users’ browsing actions and patterns. It is used to inform improvements to the website and for internal system administration.
Where did Blackleg Hub obtain my personal data from?
The personal data (name, e-mail, address and telephone number) is gathered from the information you input on the website’s enquiry page either through the online enquiry form or by submitting an e-mail. IP addresses may be collected, where available, from data subjects when they access the Blackleg Hub website.
Where will Blackleg Hub keep my data?
Your personal data will be stored on a secure server at The James Hutton Institute located in the UK.
Why is Blackleg Hub processing my personal data?
The Blackleg Hub is processing your personal data for the purposes of responding to enquiries. In relation to IP addresses, we use this to inform improvements to the website and for internal system administration. By using the Blackleg Hub website and providing your personal data via the enquiry page or otherwise through the website you are consenting to the Blackleg Hub processing your personal data for these purposes.
Will my personal data be shared with any other organisation/third parties and if so, why?
The Blackleg Hub will not share your personal data with any other organisation or third parties out with the collaboration without seeking your prior consent. An exception to this would be where we are required to share your personal data in accordance with law or any regulatory requirement to which the Blackleg Hub is subject or where we are undergoing a corporate restructure.
Will my personal data be shared outside of the EEA?
The Blackleg Hub will not share your personal data outside of the EEA without first seeking your prior consent.
Is my personal data safe?
The Blackleg Hub works hard to protect your personal data and have adopted appropriate technical and organisational measures to keep it safe from unauthorised disclosure, alteration or destruction.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal data transmitted to the Blackleg Hub via the internet; any transmission is at your own risk.
How can I stop Blackleg Hub using my personal data for marketing purposes if I no longer wish to receive communications from Blackleg Hub?
If you no longer wish to receive communication from the Blackleg Hub and would like your personal data removed from our database please e-mail our Centre Team.
How long will Blackleg Hub retain my personal data?
The Blackleg Hub will keep your personal data for no longer than is necessary for the purpose we obtained it for or until such time that you withdraw your consent and exercise your right to request that the Blackleg Hub stops processing your personal data.
Does Blackleg Hub make any automated decisions about me or profile my personal data??
The Blackleg Hub does not make automated decisions about you and also does not profile your personal data.
What are my rights in relation to the personal data Blackleg Hub holds about me?
We have summarised your rights below. Please contact our Data Protection Officer at DPO@hutton.ac.uk to exercise these.
- If we are relying on your consent, you can withdraw your consent at any time, at which point we shall stop processing your personal data in that way.Please note this does not affect the legality of our processing up to the date of your withdrawal of consent.
- You can seek to restrict our processing of your personal data, ask us to rectify any personal data we hold about you or object to us processing your personal data for the purposes stated above.
- You have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) if you think that we have infringed your rights. You can find more information about reporting a matter on the ICO’s website.
- You have the right to access personal data held by us about you.
- In certain circumstances you have the right to ask us to provide you with your personal data in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format to allow you (or us on your behalf) to transmit this information to another party. More information can be found on the ICO's website.
- In certain circumstances you have the right to ask us to erase the personal data we hold about you. Such circumstances include (a) where we no longer need your personal data for the purposes set out above; (b) if you withdraw your consent to our processing; (c) if you object to our processing based on our legitimate interest and we have no overriding legitimate grounds to continue processing your personal data; (d) if we process the data unlawfully; or (e) where the personal data has to be erased to comply with legal obligation to which we are subject. We will consider any such request in line with GDPR. Please note this is not an absolute right and there may be circumstances where we choose not to delete all of the personal data we hold about you. More information about your right of erasure can be found on the ICO's website.
Third Party Links
Blackleg Hub's website may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of third parties. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites and any services that may be accessible through them have their own privacy notices and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these notices or for any personal data that may be collected through these websites or services, such as contact and location data. Please check these notices before you submit any personal data to these websites or use these services.
Changes to Privacy Notice
We reserve the right to amend this privacy notice. However any changes we may make to our privacy notice in the future will be communicated to you in some manner.
Questions, comments and requests regarding this privacy notice are welcomed and should be addressed to: DPO@hutton.ac.uk